Friday, March 28, 2014

I Used to Do Needlepoint!

I have been taking part in a month long photo challenge on Instagram, hosted by  Fat Mum Slim, there is a different prompt for each day - I've tried it before but never carried through, yesterday the topic was "something I made" this is what I posted on Instagram yesterday - if you're not on Instagram, you're missing the fun!!


I used to do needlepoint back in the 70's and into the 80's - I can't knit, crochet or sew but I could do needlepoint.  I loved it - I made them for myself, made them for gifts - I always had one on the go.  Dad would make the frame for me and I was all set.  I think this one is one of my favourites that I have left - I haven't looked at in in ages - they're packed away, maybe I should get a new frame on this one and hang it up!  These prints are all a nice size, the one above is approximately 16x20, they're all similar.  There was a lot of work involved in these prints!!!



This one I made for Carla 


I was always kind of partial to this one, I loved the pinks and greens together.  I remember my grandfather made this frame for me - it's birds eye maple wood.  All of the frames have seen better days now - but the canvases have stayed really nice.


I don't know, is needlepoint still popular??


Linking my needlepoints up with Share Your Cup ThursdayJunkin Joe and We Call it Junkin



10 comments:

  1. Wow-- really nice! There is a lot of time put into those. I've done a lot of cross stitch in my day but no needlepoint. How neat too that your dad made the frames.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that last one too -- very pretty. The others are so sweet, especially the mimes :)
    I tried a little needlepoint at one time but never finished it. I think I still have it around her somewhere! I do cross stitch instead!
    I don't think any kind of needleart ever really goes out of style... maybe the designs but not the art itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful and needlework is always in style and popular. I did a few back then, too and have some of them hanging in my home. It was hard work, especially for the people. If it was a tree or flowers, you could get a stitch or two wrong but not with people. Everything had to be perfect! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really beautiful works Jill. It took a lot of time to do them I'm sure. I don't know if they're in style but I'd say if you love them and you have space, why not hang them in a room as a gallery on a wall. The bird's eye maple frame is extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great!
    I agree with the ladies above: needlepoint doesn't go out of style, and you should definitely hang them.
    And my favorite is the boy-and-girl pair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful these are, Jill! I've never tried needlepoint but I used to do cross stitch and really loved it. All of yours are lovely, but my fave has to be the landscape, probably just because I like landscapes. Thank you for sharing this at my History & Home link party this week, take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can't imagine how much work those take! i love the one with the boy with the hamster on his shoulder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really great! Ive done cross stitch, which I think is similar to needlepoint. Theres tons of great patterns on Etsy, maybe you should pick it up again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Popular or not, they are still lovely! I say if you love it display it. If it's not popular now, it will be if you hang on to it long enough. lol! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann
    p.s. I only do instagram with family. Sounds like you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you are very good at that! I used to do cross stitch, I've been more into embroidery lately. I say if you love it that's all that matters! Hang that fantastic art up!

    ReplyDelete