Saturday, November 2, 2013

Crab Corn Chowder - SO GOOD!

Last night we steamed up some snow crab and had plenty of leftovers, I wanted to try something different from the usual crab sandwiches, they're good but I wanted to branch out!!  Hah!!  I took out this cookbook - if you live in Canada, I'm sure you've heard of Chef Michael Smith - his Chef at Home tv show is broadcast on HGTV Canada, it's also shown in the United States and many countries throughout the world.  And, he lives just a couple of doors down from my late mother-in-laws house in Prince Edward Island - we always would look in to his place when we'd pass by, it was always a behive of activity there!!  I guess the locals are used to him by now, but the day that he went strolling down the road, we were running to the window!!!


The cookbook does not disappoint - the recipe I chose was Crab Corn Chowder with Bacon and Thyme.  It was just so good!!



6 slices of bacon, sliced crosswise into narrow strips

1 large onion, finely chopped

2 celery stalks, diced

2 baking potatoes, diced

2 cups of fresh corn kernels

2 cups of chicken broth

2 cups of whipping cream

8 ounces of fresh crabmeat, carefully picked over for any stray bits of shell

1/2 cup of chopped fresh parsley

1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme

A sprinkle or two of salt and lots of freshly ground pepper


Toss the bacon into your favourite soup pot over medium heat and cook it until lightly browned and crisp.  Transfer to a few folded paper towels to drain.  Pour off all but a tablespoon or two of the bacon fat.  Add the onions and celery to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until they're tender, about 5 minutes.  Add the potatoes, corn, chicken broth and cream and bring to a simmer.  Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, another 10 minutes or so.


Just before serving, stir in the crab, parsley and thyme. Simmer just long enough to heat everything through, another few minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to your taste.  Ladle the chowder into bowls and top with the reserved bacon.  I also added some of the bacon to the chowder pot.



This is a great recipe, I'll definitely make it next time we have leftover crab!!  Click on the pictures to see all that goodness!

 








5 comments:

  1. I like to watch his cooking show, very laid back. This recipe looks very yummy! We never seem to have leftover crab though. MMMM bacon....crab. Like crack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love corn chowder! Yours looks irresistable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutely yummy ~ thanks for sharing the recipe. I HAVE to try this ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister just made corn chowder for the first time, and she really liked it. I'll have to show her this recipe, because in my opinion, everything tastes better with bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made this....sooo yummy! Wrong time of the year for fresh corn so I used frozen and substituted imitation crab as I couldn't find the real stuff.

    ReplyDelete