Saturday, January 19, 2013

Four Little Puppies - My Elf Book


A few years ago before I was really interested in vintage children's books, I came upon this one that instantly took me back to my childhood..  I had so many books, I took it upon myself one day to give them all away to some children that I was babysitting - why did Mom let me do that??  I sure wish I had kept them.  

Four Little Puppies


A Real Live Animal Book



Don't you love their names - Wags, Tags, Rags and Obidiah??  They lived with their Aunt Oscar and Aunt Abbie - 



The book has the sweetest pictures.





I was reading a bit about the Rand McNally Elf Books - the Elf Books were made differently from Golden Books - the front and back covers are one piece and glued to the cover cardboard, the pages are stitched together and then glued to the cover by the first and last pages - this is why the covers did not hold up as well as Little Golden Books - take a look at them, there really is a difference.  So, that is why Elf Books are often more tattered on the covers.  

There is a a Wonder Book that I sure would like to have - The Costume Party - loved that one too.  Do you remember any books that you wished you still had?  


I'm joining in at A Favorite Thing at Mockingbird Hill Cottage again this week - my Vera scarves were featured in the round up - thanks so much...












12 comments:

  1. Hi Jill, this is an really cute book. I think I have a couple of Rand McNally books hear but never heard of the one you are seeking. I love the old books for their sweet drawings. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom kept most of my childhood books-- I lucked out! They sure bring back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great item to collect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh don't even get me started on talking about vintage children's books, and Rand McNally's! :P
    I need to look up "The Costume Party"...then I can be on the look out for you.
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had my childhood books too -- I have some, but not nearly all of them. Obidiah -- what a great name! My brother had three dogs -- all were named Wags. Wags III was the one I remember -- he was the sweetest and allowed a lot of tail tugging by a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any of the books I had as a child! I don't know why, but I don't. Thanks for telling us about the ELF books.

    Thanks for joining in this week.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I WANT ONE! Those illustrations are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those old books are so much fun to look at again...and share with little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm lucky to have kept quite a few of my books from when I was a kid! I even have a few of my father's collection of "Little Big Books!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute book! I lost all of my favorite children's books to fire. I have replaced several of them from ebay auctions over the years. The books we loved as kids just stay in our hearts forever.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  11. that book is so cute! i have a vague memory of an elf book that was in the church nursery when i was little that i've been looking for. it was about a bakery/bakery truck and all the food had little faces and was so cute. most of the people at my parent's church growing up had their childern in the 50's and 60's so the nursery was filled with the vintage toys they donated. i wish i had a lot of them now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute! I love their names as much as the pictures.

    ReplyDelete